BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2000 bmwz3 heater/a/c/fan speed controls. Which of he 3

Customer Question
2000 bmwz3 heater/a/c/fan speed controls...
2000 bmwz3 heater/a/c/fan speed controls. Which of he 3 cables(green,black,red) controls the front windshield defroster so? The left knob that selects the air for foot, defroster, & center vents is not working. I took radio out & can control the movement of the 3 cables with needle nose players , but can't get the defroster to turn off, thus all cold or hot air goes thru it or the foot well vents.
How do I get defroster vents t turn off? Moving thr green cable open & closed doesn't turn defrost off.
Phil
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2016
BMW Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Welcome, my name is***** am a verified expert automobile technician. I, and all others like me are neither employees nor agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell our Expert knowledge to customers. I do my best to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, please let me know what you need from me so you’re satisfied with my efforts and reward me with a Positive Rating.

These are simple mechanical controls; issue is they're flimsy and prone to failure - BMW has been criticized for the cheap materials used in this design. If pulling and pushing the cables independently from the controls don't change the air flow as desired, most likely the cables have become disconnected from the flaps - possibly broken plastic piece where cable connects (see attached graphic).

Please tell if that helps.

Best Regards.

No that's not the caseI can move the green cable & see the flap moving to both open & close position & hear it. This still does no turn the defrost off. Is there another cable other than green that opens or closes that defrost flap?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
You can call me on ***-***-****
Phil
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the control head is intact and the cables are moving at that end then the problem has to either be a broken cable, a cable that is off at the heater box, or you have a broken door in the heater box.

You've verified that all cables are intact and moving the linkage at the heater box?

I'm not able to talk on the phone.

What controls the defrost , green cable, black cable, or red cable?
There is a green block, black block,& red block on the cables. This is the only question I need to solve my problem. In pretty sure the red is for heatPhil

The service information does not specify but I believe it should be the red cable.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician