BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I just changed fuel injectors car started and died now won't…

Customer Question
I just changed fuel injectors...
I just changed fuel injectors car started and died now won't fire now I'm getting Injector circuit open on all 8 cylinders and also p1525 and p1526 and p1420 I'm lost o it is a 2000 bmw 540i automatic
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
2/12/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect and see if there is any injector wiring issues causing this here as well as any other issues with the engine wiring on top of the engine.If you find any faults with any of the wiring the affected wiring will need repaired to correct this here.If this is or has already been checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I had found all the coating on the bank 2 cam sensor had deteriorated and all three wires were smoothed together. I replaced the sensor and cleared the codes but still won't start and same codes came back

Were the wires actually shorted together and you had to separate them and repair them?

but I just replaced the whole sensor

O.k.,with the wires being shorted together this shorts out the engine computer itself internally as the signal and low voltage wires come from the engine computer.When they short like this,this damaged the circuits on the circuit board in the engine computer itself to where the engine computer either needs removed and sent in for repair to a repair center that works on these for your model or removed and replaced to correct this here.I have seen this occur before and this usually damages the computer every time.

This will cause the computer to set other fault codes like you see here as its internal circuits are damaged.I suspect you will need to have your computer either removed and repaired or replaced to correct this fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

It wouldn't have popped a main fuse somewhere?

Check and make sure fuse 1,2 and 4 (all 30 amp) fuses are o.k. in the engine bay fuse panel as these power the engine computer (DME) and fuse 2 powers the cam sensor 2.

If these are all o.k. then the computer has been damaged and needs repaired or replaced.If one or more fuses are found shorted out the affected fuses need replace and then the vehicle re checked to see if it operates properly then.Here is a diagram of the cam sensor 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/makxkbv99epcrc1/fuse-02-12.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

The engine bay fuse panel under the passenger seat?

This fuse panel should be under hood in the engine bay area and may be under a plastic cover that needs removed.The diagrams below are the fuse box locations in the engine bay area on this model depending on the version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67tijzi86qn9bnf/f-02-12.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qohgpl9zjty0av/fu-02-12.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eqc14qli9ps5my/fus-02-12.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lnx35x4z8i438v/fusee-02-12.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete