BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I just bought a 2011 750Li and there is and flapping noise…

Customer Question
I just bought a 2011...
I just bought a 2011 750Li and there is and flapping noise coming from the foot pedals or under the center counsel. It kind of sounds like a damper flapping. It is very sporadic and it happens on flat surfaces. The heat and air were off. Please help it is driving me nuts!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
2/6/2016
BMW Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Does it sound like plastic flapping or like metal flapping?

Any issues with air flow directions, temperature control or turning on and off fresh air duct?

Please remember that I am not there to listen to the noise and therefore rely on you for as much detail as possible so that I can more accurately help you

It is very hard to tell if it is plastic or medal. When it does happen it flaps/ knocks 5/8 times stops then it's fine then it does it again. My husband laid on the floor in the back of car and he said it was coming from up front by the pedals and right towards the counsel.
I read something on line about thrust rod bushings. Can it be that?
Haven't noticed anything with the air flow

HI,

Any possibility that it could be a plastic rattling or knocking sound?

I'm going to listen to it again in the morning
so I can be more specific.

HI,

Ok, do that and let me know. There are a couple of different known issues with noises in the cabin of the vehicle and the type of noise it is making is important in determining the cause

Hi Eric....is there any way to email you a recording of the noise ?

HI,

Ok, you can either upload it to you tube and post a link to it here, or use a free drop box like mediafire and post the link here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8a7chnz4fva8c/BMW%20Noise.m4a?dl=0
Listen around the 2:00 mark you really hear it then. Hope the link works.

HI,

Ok, to me it sounds like a rattle. There is a service bulletin out on this. SITUATION
A rattling or clattering noise may be heard from the drivers or passenger foot well area while driving.

CAUSE
Tolerance excessive between the footwell air duct and the securing hooks

PROCEDURE
Confirm the location of the rattling by tapping on the footwell trim panel on both the left and right sides, and then proceed to the next step for the affected trim panel(s).

1. For the drivers side, use Repair Instructions 51 45 184 to remove the pedal trim and/or Repair Instructions 51 45 195 for the passenger side trim.

2. Place the trim panel on a clean work surface. Remove the plastic duct, and then apply felt strips to the inside of the 3 securing hooks, as shown in yellow. Install the duct into the modified trim panel, and then install the trim into the vehicle. Quality check the effectiveness of the repair by tapping lightly on the trim panel again. Repeat the same repair procedure for the opposite side, if needed.

I have attached the complete service bulletin as pdf file format for easy downloading and printing

SITUATION

CAUSE

PROCEDURE

I have attached the service bulletin as a pdf file format for easy downloading and printing

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

We took everything apart still making noise. My husband thinks there is something flapping up by the firewall.

HI,

Hmmm, ok, do you ever feel air coming thru the air vents when the ac and heat are off?

None of your answers have resolved anything.

HI,

Sorry, it is difficult at best to diagnose a noise you cannot be present to hear and test the different components yourself. I will opt out at this point

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager