BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2007 530xi wagon (E61). As part of the power

Customer Question
Hello- I have a 2007 530xi...
Hello-
I have a 2007 530xi wagon (E61). As part of the power liftgate option package (316), there is an automated cargo roller cover. When I purchased the car, this was inoperative. I disassembled the system and the mechanical components seem to function properly (the motor, reed switch, etc.), but the motor does not actuate upon closing of the tailgate to close the roller cover. This is controlled by the LCPA module in the spare tire well. I bought a used LCPA module and swapped it out but this did not solve the problem. My guess is that a dealer tech "coded out" this option/module at some point do address operability issues. I think I need to recode the LCPA module so that the KGM recognizes it again. I have access to BMW software (INPA, ISTA, NCSExpert), and have found DIYs on re-coding existing modules, but I do not know how to add a "new" module to the car that is not currently being recognized.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
if this is not a coding issue, please suggest other troubleshooting measures.
I should also mention that ISTA-D allows activation up/down of the roller cover mechanism through the software interface. However, I was NOT able to get the roller cover to activate through ISTA. This, combined with the fact that the LCPA module is not present in a module list in ISTA leads me to believe that car does not "see" that there is a LCPA module installed.
1/27/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted on how this is done here.In some cases this can be due to the info being difficult to obtain or the correct person that has this info may not be online.

You might check all control modules to see if there is a coding option to enable the power cargo cover as this may be a hidden option in one of the body computers.If you are unable to locate this at all one other option is to contact a dealer to see if they will tell you how this is activated or coded.If this is not an option and you are unable to locate this let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, Pete-
Thanks for your time and response, but I am looking for someone with extensive BMW coding experience. I know which modules require coding, but I need someone with experience in BMW software programming to walk me through the process of (re)coding a module that the car is not currently recognizing.Thank you,Jon

Your welcome.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician