eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

My BMW X3 won't go in reverse. I understand it may be the

Customer Question

My BMW X3 won't go in reverse. I understand it may be the snap ring hat needs to be replaced, which I believe requires a rebuild of the transmission. I have 107,000 mile. Just tuned it up, water put and thermostat went. Trying to determine if it's worth it to repair the transmission. What s an estimate for he transmission repair if it is the snap ring?
Category: BMW
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

usually its more the just a snap ring it would be cheaper to install a used unit labor to replace is about 7 hours try and locate a used unit on www.car-part.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main question was to give me a range of the cost. So @ 7 hours &150 is about $1,050 but what does a used ransmission go for? Get me close. I am trying to see if I want to stick money into this car. 107k miles and I just tend it up with spark plugs and coils & water pump and thermostat. $2,500 bucks later ancestors last November.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

a complete rebuild gets pricey depending on if its just a soft rebuild with clutches steels and seals or if it has valve body of hard part failure... generally rebuilds run 3,000 to 5000 depending on extent of damage