sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2001 BMW 540I remote stopped working
, Locked vehicle

Customer Question

Customer: 2001 BMW 540I remote stopped working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Locked vehicle with remote when I returned to vehicle remote not working
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello an welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the problem could be on the vehicle but it's much more likely that the fob has failed or has a dead battery.

The first thing you'll want to do is check or replace the battery. The battery can be removed and tested with a digital voltmeter.

If the battery is good or the fob still doesn't work after replacing it then the next step will be to have the fob tested. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will test fobs for free. If it isn't transmitting yet the battery is good then it will need to be replaced.