BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2005 325I, automatic. Issue; Removed key, instrument cluster…

Customer Question
2005 325I, automatic. Issue; Removed key, instrument...
2005 325I, automatic.
Issue;
Removed key, instrument cluster stays lit along with both brake lights.
Scan shows:
Kom Instrument cluster;
F5-kombi: No can identification (ASC)
F9-kombi: No (ASC)
FB-kombi: No (EGS)
F4-kombi: No (EGS)
OF-kombi: Service Interval Display Reset
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
1/22/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
what is he last 7 digits of the vin?
Wbaet37
that is the first 7...
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the problem is most likely a failed ignition switch
the other possible cause would be a faulty control module on the vehicle that is causing interference for other modules - the key suspects would be the cluster itself, or possibly the lamp control module (aka lcm or lkm)
next steps would be either to replace the ignition switch or to invest in a proper test plan to be carried out with a BMW factory scan tool. you could also try unhooking the cluster to see if the brake lights go off when you do as this would help narrow down to a cluster fault.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert