BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I started my 2003 bmw x5 with a aftermarket remote starter.i…

Customer Question
I started my 2003...

I started my 2003 bmw x5 with a aftermarket remote starter.i went out and put key in ignition and the key wont turn and door locks wont work from key chain.if i press buttons manual they work

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I can still remotely start car but i cant use key to put in gear.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 day by:
1/19/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this may be a fault internally with the remote start control unit/ecu causing this issue here as I have seen this fail or act up before causing issues like this here.I have also seen issues with the electronic ignition switch cause issues like this needing replaced.This will have to be checked/tested further to locate which component is the cause here and may require removal of the after market remote start system to help pinpoint the fault here for repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

THE SECURITY SYSTEM ISNT WORKING..THE BATTERY WAS REPLACED AND I ACTIVATED AN AFTERMARKET REMOTE STARTER.THE KEY NOW WONT TURN IN THE IGNITION.DO I HAVE TO RESET THE SECURITY SYSTEM .HOW DO I DO THIS.DID A FUSE BLOW WHEN THE NEW BATTERY WAS PUT IN?
EMAIL THE ANSWER TO ME PLEASE

I apologize for the delay.

If you can give me the info on the after market remote start with its model brand and number I can see if there is a reset procedure for this here just let me know.

Thanks Pete