Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I had snow fall in my 2014 528I BMW from the back window

Customer Question

I had snow fall in my 2014 528I BMW from the back window when opening the trunk. It melted and caused a parking break malfunction resulting in a $1500 needed repair. Have you ever heard of this problem? BMW is saying it's driver error and not covered under the warranty. Doesn't seem fair to me.
Thanks,
Steve
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Snow certainly gets in the trunk from time to time but not normally an amount significant enough to cause damage after melting
With that said, this would normally be considered driver error - the warranty would cover parts damages by a water leak due to a defective deal, but that is not the case here. This case is similar to carrying a jug of water in the trunk and having it burst open - any damage is clearly not a design defect or BMWs responsibility
The only can I can suggest would be to request goodwill coverage or partial coverage from BMW for this
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, I trust that my honesty is appreciated
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fact that is the amount of snow that fell in the trunk is an amount from the back window and some from the trunk lid. That cannot be considered negligent on the driver's part, but only a design defect due to the parking break mechanism being located under the trunk floor in my opinion. Shouldn't the parking brake mechanism be in a sealed area? I cannot be the first person that had snow melt in the trunk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you respond please?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Pleae do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
I am sorry but this is not a design defect.
BMW has been putting electronics - sensitive electronics - under the floor in the trunk - unsealed - for over 10 years. Not it should not be sealed, no it is not a defect. the onus is on the driver to be sure the trunk remains dry.
there is no way you can put this back on BMW, your only chance for a reduced cost is good will as I stated.
you are far from the first person to have liquid damage trunk electronics and far from the first person to have snow melt in the trunk
I am sorry but this is not something BMW will cover.
as the question has been answered please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer, out of the deposit which you have already paid.