gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2000 740iL with water in the brake booster area.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there, I have a 2000 740iL with water in the brake booster area. After a hard rain, the brakes would be stiff and the engine ran very rough - sometimes with white exhaust streaming out of the tail pipes. Then after a while the car would run great again. I researched this online and saw that water in the brake booster area was a very common problem, usually caused by leaves and other dirt getting into the brake booster area and then plugging up the drainage hole. Then during a rain, water would find itself into that container but would not drain out. I believe what would happen next, is some water would get sucked up by one of the vacuum hoses causing the brakes to malfunction as well as affecting the engine performance. My name is ***** ***** Coutinho by the way
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I believe the issue is the drainage hole is plugged up and the solution is to clear it out. But my problem is I can't seem to find the drainage hole to begin with and I am not sure how to clean it out if I did.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Im fine either way.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Use a coat hanger wire or similar, and fish around down under the brake booster. There is a drain there, mostly just an open spot between panels, that clogs up with leaves. It may be easier if you get the water out first, but if you find the blog it will clear quickly. Check the covers in that area, they should be directing rain off to the side and not pouring it straight down in there. A small amount, yes, but not a lot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I probably should have been more detailed with my question - I already know there is a drainage hole under the brake booster, and I have spent considerable time trying to find it using various tools (including a coat hanger). And I know I need to clean the blockage out. What I am looking for is 1 - the extremely specific location where the hole is located (example - directly under the center of the brake booster on the bottom of the tub, and it will be 1/4 inch in diameter), 2 - specifically how to clean the block out (example - take a small vacuum hose and wiggle it under the brake booster - you should see a small amount of debris in the vacuum bag once done), and 3 - how to test the drain to make sure the solution has worked (example - pour a cup of water in the tub housing the brake booster, the water should drain easily out and onto the ground below). Ideally you could add some photos to help me identify the spot. Can you please provide that answer?
Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI - my examples have no basis of accuracy in them ... I was just using them as samples of what I would like the answers to look like.