Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

, well... Recently i did a clutch change and was

Customer Question

Customer: hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well... Recently i did a clutch change and was successful up until the battery light came on the dash. So I immediately researched and found out it lit up doe to a charging problem. So i tested the alternator seemed to be fine, on the multimeter it showed 13.65V but when i went to the battery the battery was still draining. went to research again and found out how to check for a paramedic draw, tested it and found no draw, reading 0.5A. I thought it could be the battery so changed it out to a battery which is almost new and working perfectly. After changing the battery i saw no change, so in this point in time i am no sure what could be the culprit.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Is the battery light still on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light stays on, also ive noticed the maximum voltage the battery can drop to is 6.9v after that if i use for example the a/c the engine will die because of the low power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you suggest, someone told me to check my ground connections but i not sure which ones to check and where to find them.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the problem is that the alternator is faulty and needs to be replaced. 13.65 dropping to 6.9 indicates a bad alternator - even 13.65 is too low.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but i already changed the alternator. Also i didnt say that the voltage produced by the alternator drops to 6.9v, what i meant is that the alternator produces constant voltage of 13.68v, the voltage on the battery constantly drops from fully charged to 6.9v in about 15min.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
you never said you replaced the alternator, just that it seemed fine...
did you replace the alternator and the battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the alternator then I used an almost new battery from a friends car. And the voltage would still die
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I would check the ground straps they go from the engine mounts to the body.

Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Any Luck?