peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Ive got a 2006 bmw x5 that seems to be having a wiring

Customer Question

ive got a 2006 bmw x5 that seems to be having a wiring issue. The instrument cluster backlighting and dash panel lights wont come on. Fuses are good, and for a day or so I could hit the arm rest and they would come back on until I hit a bump or something.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question did you have about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any kind of hub or connector in that area that would explain this? I can't seem to find any info on the wiring from the battery forward so would like to know what color/connection I'd even be looking for.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been added to the vehicle at all like a remote start or alarm system at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its all stock. I found a harness beneath the center arm rest but wasn't sure if I can replace the whole harness or need to track a specific wire from it.

My info isnt showing any part numbers or seperations for the harnesses here so it would most likely need replaced as an entire harness assembly which may run through the interior of the vehicle and can be expensive to replace.I would inspect all wires in the harness especially any connections in the harnesses to see if you have any broken or damaged wiring or any loose terminals in any connections or damaged connections needing repaired.Usually this is the cause here when you can tap on the arm rest to get them to come back on temporarily.This usually indicates the harness connection or wiring at fault needing traced,located and repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete