BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Ive got a 2006 bmw x5 that seems to be having a wiring

Customer Question
issue. The instrument cluster backlighting...
ive got a 2006 bmw x5 that seems to be having a wiring issue. The instrument cluster backlighting and dash panel lights wont come on. Fuses are good, and for a day or so I could hit the arm rest and they would come back on until I hit a bump or something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
1/3/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question did you have about this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any kind of hub or connector in that area that would explain this? I can't seem to find any info on the wiring from the battery forward so would like to know what color/connection I'd even be looking for.
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been added to the vehicle at all like a remote start or alarm system at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its all stock. I found a harness beneath the center arm rest but wasn't sure if I can replace the whole harness or need to track a specific wire from it.

My info isnt showing any part numbers or seperations for the harnesses here so it would most likely need replaced as an entire harness assembly which may run through the interior of the vehicle and can be expensive to replace.I would inspect all wires in the harness especially any connections in the harnesses to see if you have any broken or damaged wiring or any loose terminals in any connections or damaged connections needing repaired.Usually this is the cause here when you can tap on the arm rest to get them to come back on temporarily.This usually indicates the harness connection or wiring at fault needing traced,located and repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician