BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2005 E66 745Li N62B44 with 2BD5 & 2B5C codes VIN;

Customer Question
2005 E66 745Li N62B44 with...
2005 E66 745Li N62B44 with 2BD5 & 2B5C codes
VIN; DS59117Here's some background on what's happened thus far. After my wife got stuck with the car earlier this year(Feb) I just got to replacing all the timing chain guides (2 were broken) and tensioners last month, which is what the BMW tech where she had the car towed suggested may be wrong and where to start looking. It was making a terrible clacking noise in the front end on the drivers side. In retrospoect and in the process of pulling the upper and lower timing covers off when I pulled the Vanos solenoids out there was “fuzz” on the screens where the oil comes into them, it struck me as odd at the time. (hint#1)Next observation,.. As I was draining the oil to drop the lower pan to clean that, I noticed that the side of the filter was pushed in as if someone had stuck a finger into it. Again struck me as odd, but didn't realize there as a support post missing in there. (hint#2) Oil has gotten changed for the past 5 years at the same place, so must be one of the quick change guys broke it off as there wasn't a clue that it had ever been there. I replaced the support post (11 42 7 506 678) and still had a problem with Vanos codes on Bank 2. (2A84/P0022)After putting everything back together, I was still getting a couple codes (2CF9, 2CFA ) about the VANOS, thinking it was out of time still, even though I’d timed it with the right tools. And some misfire codes on 3 of the 4 cylinders on the same side (drivers). I replaced the coils and plugs and the misfire codes cleared out, but the Vanos code remained. Thinking about backtracking the oil system,. I pulled the oil check valves on the drivers side and saw some filter element material balled up in the check valve. No material seen in any of the other check valves. I blew up through the filter center and it pushed a couple of pieces the size of a pencil eraser out of the check valve hole. I’d removed the Vanos Solenoids before hand as well and blew through those ports with no noticeable issues. The car started and idled smoothly as soon as I restarted it, but then when I step on the gas it hesitates now and and sputters sometimes and if i hold the pedal steady it sounds like it clears up. I had my father inlaw look at it,. He’s no BMW expert,but he has his own car garage and builds race car motors, he seems to think it a misfire issue and suggested I check all the plugs which I did and all looked fine there. I’m not gettiing any other codes else where. I was also getting a transmission “failsafe” error just as it sets the code (I am reading the codes with INPA), if I clear the codes. It will run fine then, it will start sputtering an hesitating again. I've let the car idle for 5-10 minutes and all is fine, its just seems that when I give it fuel, it begins to act up. (as I watch the valve openign,it makes me think the something is fishiy with teh valvetronics)My research last week intimated that it might be a crank sensor issue, so I changed that earlier today with no difference in the issue. Also replaced the battery as well to make sure that wasn’t the issue either from a power point of view since it had sat for so long. I’ve attached some screen shots from INPA that I captured this morning as well, showing some difference in the camshaft adaptation on bank 2 intake(so maybe the timing is still off??) and the engine roughness readings which im not entirely sure how to intrepret other than it looked out of whack.I pulled the IVM to check for any visual issues there, but could see some of the cold weld issues that otehrs have seen. I put it back together and it seems to have settled down with “normal” throtle response up to 4k RPM. I let it run in tehy driveway for a bit and was going to take it down the road and it sarted acting up again.Looking for guidance on where and what to look at next to try and get this resolved.Thanks,.Percy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
I ran the car again tonight after clearing all the codes. It ran fine for 3-4 minutes then started to "clack" a little as I gave it some gas (to 2000 rpm). I was watching the valve stroke all the while and it was varying with the gas pedal which I would expect based on what I've read of how these engines run, up until the hesitation began again. I've attached the screen shot of where the valve stroke locked up as well.
Answered in 1 day by:
1/3/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not checked for any vacuum leaks on the engine at all this should be done.If there are any vacuum leaks after the repairs were done this can cause a fault like this here.If this has already been checked into and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I've checked for vacuum leaks at all the logical places already with no indication of leakage. I have a IVM that I'll try IB it today as well to see if I have an issue there.

O.k.,let me know if you come up with anything on it today.If you want I can re open your question for others here to see if anyone else can assist further that may have more info on this as well just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Lets open this up to others as well please,. thx

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician