BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

We are struggling with a E90 320i N46 engine. Removed and

Customer Question
Hi George We are struggling with...
Hi George
We are struggling with a E90 320i N46 engine.
Removed and replaced the head, car started and drove for abour 3 blocks and then cut out.
After removing the valve cover we noticed the drive gear is not on the cam gear.. we set it up with the toothed gear in the centre of the vvt drive gear.
Any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
We re installed and checked timing etc. restarted car and its running.
The vehicle idle uneven (misfire) on different cylinders and the following fault codes are present
2A61
2A6C
2A63
2E27
2F99
2A6B
29CC
29DOI hope the extra info help.
12/30/2015
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes cleared out/erased then operate the vehicle to see what codes come back.The codes that come back are usually the ones that need diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.If you can do this then post the code info again here this will help as some of these may be old history codes unrelated to the fault now.

Thanks Pete

Good morning Pete.
Thank you for your reply its much appreciated.After some more tinkering the following codes remain.
2A63 - VVT Actuator monitoring
2A61 - VVT Teaching function at stop
2F99 - Ambient temperatureWhat am i missing here?

Just to be sure this does have the 2.5 or 3.0 liter engine in your vehicle am I correct?Or is it for sure the N46 model engine?

N46 for sure Pete.

O.k.,unfortunately my info isnt listing this motor for your model here.If you want I can re open your question for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Thanks for your response Pete.

Your welcome.

I know some models may not teach in or learn actuators properly when the ambient temp is low.If you have a fault with the ambient temp sensor this may be causing this issue here with the temp sensor needing replaced.The temp sensor is usually located inline/installed with the engine air filter tubing on most models.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician