IN RANGE ROVER - BIG TIP FOR FINAL SOLUTION--- Just need to find cause of NO START. 2005 Range Rover HSE NON supercharged. Here is the chain of events:
1. Car was driven 12 hours before failure
2. Overnight the temp dropped to 9 degrees F
3. When start was attempted the starter DID engage and turned the engine, but it did not fire up. Made about 5 attempts at 10 seconds each with no start, just cranked.
4. Gave it 10 minute rest and upon attempting to start it there was NO solenoid clack and naturally the starter did not turn.
5. Assuming a dead battery jumped it with brand new fully charged battery and still no solenoid clack. Then was when I really got concerned.
6. I DO have a paid subscription to ALLDATADIY.COM but cannot locate a flowchart or similar that gives logical steps to find the source of the problem. If the Expert that answers this can locate such a flowchart I am happy to follow the steps. Here is what I have done so far:
1. Verified that battery is 100% good. Cleaned terminals and put them on very snugly so they do not twist.
2. Followed the thick gauge red wire to the starter and verified that there was continuity and full 12.6 volts at the starter terminal. ( The starter is VERY hard to get to! Must remove exhaust manifold and a ton of other items.)
3. The electronic/mechanical key does see the ignition slot and when removed but held near the key slot does make the clicking noise as it does normally.
4. Naturally the car has gas. All fuses were checked. We have not tested the relays yet nor the fusable links.
5. The headlights, radio and all accessories seem to work just fine. It just will NOT engage the solenoid/starter. That was 4 days ago. No change even with warmer weather.
6. No error codes are displaying on the OBD test set.
7. At the suggestion of the closest dealer (*****away ) I removed the positive and negative leads from the battery and shorted them together for one hour to completely reset the computers. No difference after that test.
I can either begin with troubleshooting steps from you OR, if you prefer, you can guide me to the specific Alldatadiy location that gives step by step on how to fix a no start problem.
I am an Electronic Technician and a fair mechanic, HOWEVER without the Land Rover testbook & their computer I am at a loss.