Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2003 E53 X5 3.0D. My driver door has decided to

Customer Question

I have a 2003 E53 X5 3.0D. My driver door has decided to stop opening by using both the exterior and interior handles. This happened right after I had opened the windows completely with the key fob and then closed them again. The door unlocks and locks but when you pull the handle you cant feel anything releasing. I have had to resort to getting in and out of the car through the passenger door. I have also tried using the key in the door itself with no luck.
When I unlock and lock the doors with the key fob or internal switch the lock know still moves up and down.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my wife's car and shes 14 weeks pregnant and I'd hate for her to be getting in and out through the passenger side for the foreseeable future.
Thank you,
Elliot.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi,
what kind of help are you seeking exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what is the best way to get the door open. Even if I wanted to remove the door trim to inspect the inside components and cables I cant because the door wont open at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the door latch mechanism is faulty inside the door - there is no way to open the door when this happens, unfortunately.
you will need to get the panel off or partially off with the door shut, which is not easy. If you can get it free enough you may be able to locate the problem by looking down from the top and possibly snag the release using a long tool.
in order to minimize damage to the door panel, it would be advisable to have this done professionally. If you need a good but reasonably priced shop check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle