BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 530 xi 2007 that will not start. Ran fine earlier

Customer Question
Hi steve I have a...
Hi steve I have a 530 xi 2007 that will not start. Ran fine earlier and I have had it on a charger for a half hour. Not sure it is a battery problem.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2015
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question exactly did you have about this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car will not start it appears to have power but will not turn over.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried to charge the battery and only get a hum
Would you like to know possible causes? Something else?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just need to figure out how to start it. I am in a remote area with no BMW dealer nearby. Any help is appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vehicle ran fine a couple hours ago
I am not going to be able to get your car started if something has failed... It will need to be repaired. I can suggest causes and some things to try, but in all likelihood you will need to have it towed. Please let me know if you would like to proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any help is appreciated!!!!!
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Most likely the starter has failed.
Other possibilities would be a bad key, immobilizer issue, bad transmission/clutch switch. It could also be something random like a broken wire but that is hard to predict.
In terms of things you can try, they would be:
A second key
A jump start
Unhooking the battery for an hour
Rocking the car back and forth in park
Starting in neutral
Locking/unlocking manually with the blade key
Be sure to have it flat bedded if you have it towed
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do I find the battery to disconnect on this vehicle?
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.
It is in the trunk under the paneling. Google for E60 battery diy and you will find several videos.
If there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive credit for my time and answer
If there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert