BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a BMW 328i 2011 with about 30,000 miles. I was told

Customer Question
I have a BMW 328i...
I have a BMW 328i 2011 with about 30,000 miles. I was told it needed a new battery and the dealership said it would cost $604. The battery they said would be $375 of this amount and the rest was programming the battery to the car. Does this sound right? It seems so expensive.
The second part of this is that the car vibrates at higher speeds. Its normally something I would chalk up to the need for balancing or tire rotation. The dealer says that the problem is in fact "the wheels". I said "you mean the tires?" And he said no. He said the bar that holds the wheels is bent due to potholes or something like that. Cost to replace - $1000. He said the car doesn't ever need the tires rotated. I can't decide if this is a complete rip off as I have never heard of anything like it before.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
12/2/2015
BMW Mechanic: internal88, BMW Mechanic replied 1 year ago
internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic

Hello, I'm Brandon - BMW tech.

Yes, the battery cost around that price but labor to register should be about $150-180

The shake at high speed is due to the tire balance. They will need to redo the tire balance.

BMW does not recommend rotating the tires.

Tire rotation won't help the shake. The tires need to be re-balance. I would recommend doing all four .

Let me know if you have further questions. Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

The dealer will charge you more due to the overhead. However if you go to your local BMW shop or European shops they could do it for you cheaper.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I spoke to the dealer again and they said the rims are out of round the thing that holds the wheel on the car is bent as a result of going over too many potholes. He said sometimes it can be repaired but mine is so bad that it has to be replaced. He said its not worth balancing because it won't fix the problem? Does this make sense to you? What is the piece called that he is talking about?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe he is talking about the rims? Could those cost $1000? And if i have tire insurance would that be covered?

If they can't put the wheel weight on the old wheel that means it is really bent out of shape. Yes, it make sense to me if the wheel is so bent.

He is talking about the wheel lip.

Yes, he is talking about the wheel lip which is part of the wheel itself.

tire insurance would only insurance the tire.

Maybe you could find a used wheel from ebay.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

Yes, the original BMW wheel can cost up to $1000. In the dealer they will give you the list price.

Hi, I just wanted to follow up on your BMW?

internal88
internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic