BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Do you know the ride height a 88 325ix, this is # in each

Customer Question
Do you know the ride...
Do you know the ride height for aligning a 88 325ix, this is for 150# ***** each front seat, 150# ***** rear seat, full tank, 45# ***** with 15" wheels. From what I can find out this height is where you set the front control arm bushings, any experience with this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
11/28/2015
BMW Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

I have the ride height specs, HERE

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have this information from bently manual, it doesn't cover the IX, which is the awd, and has a higher ride height, this is why I asked this site, as information for this model is hard to find, and often only available from BMW sources.

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

BMW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

The measurements for the E30 AWD are 565 front and 510 rear.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is the ride height for all the 2wd cars except the convertible and m-technic cars, the awd ix rides much higher, at least 1"

This is directly from the chart on Alldata, which is from the BMW manuals. It has a section for the M cars, and then a specific listing for the ix AWD.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the ride height for the 2wd I cars the same as the 565 and 510 listed for the IX? That is what is listed for the 2wd I cars in Bently. Seems too low, this is not easy info to find, can you confirm the height for the 2wd cars, same year 88?

Sorry, have to write this out by hand since cut and paste makes it show up weird-

E30 Sedan 565 505

E30 Convertible 570 510

E30 325 ix 565 510

E30 M3 556 529

E31 598 569

E32 588 522

E34 525i 535i 588 522

E34 M5 596 545

E36 576 523

Bulletin Number
32 02 91 (3263)

Woodcliff Lake, NJ
May 1991
Service Engineering

SUBJECT:Revised Conditions for Checking and Setting Wheel Alignment

MODELS:All

Situation:In order to more accurately check and adjust wheel alignment, a revision has been made to the standard conditions required for a wheel alignment.

The revision is that the vehicle is loaded as described in the Technical Data, Page 32-100, and then the loading is adjusted, if necessary, to bring the vehicle height to specification. This eliminates any camber or toe variations due to ride height being different than design specification.

Procedure:Drive the vehicle onto the alignment rack, remove the lock pins from the turntables and slip plates, and load with weight bags as per Technical Data, Page 32-100. Measure the ride height from the bottom of the rim flange vertically to the bottom of the wheel opening. Check the ride height against the specification in the Technical Data, sections 31 and 33. If the ride height varies from the specification listed (disregard the tolerance), add or remove weight as necessary to bring the ride height to the listed specification. (Note: vehicles equipped with self-levelling suspension must have the levelling system powered up. Set rear ride height by adjusting self-levelling to proper specification.)

When the ride height has been adjusted to specification, check and adjust alignment as required.

For your convenience, attached is a chart showing weight requirements for normal loading and ride height specifications for all current models, as equipped when sold. For vehicles equipped with optional wheels, please refer to ride height specifications, sections 31 and 33 of Technical Data.

Note:Specifications are not available for vehicles equipped with non-approved or non-BMW wheels, or for vehicles with modified suspensions or body parts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** seem that the ix info is faulty being that the height is an inch higher, look at the specifications for ix vs I cars, the sub frame bushings have an extension sticking up higher than the I cars. Is this from alldata, then it is incorrect

Yes, it is (transcribed) from the Alldata bulletin, which comes directly from BMW's files. Which would mean that this original bulletin in BMW's files would be incorrect as well then? The bulletin number is *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please refer to ride height specifications, sections 31 and 33 of Technical Data
Do you have these sections?

This is what it gives me for specs, I think the bulletin was more specific.

LINK

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
These specs do not list the ix.
I loaded mine with new bmw stock springs, new pads, shocks, front upper mounts. 150 lbs in each front seat and rear, full tank, 50 lbs in trunk. The ride height is 592-596 front, 526 both rear. This is why I am saying the numbers are off. On the original springs with 200k on them came in at 578 f, 523 rear. do you or anyone else have any other sources?

I don't. If it is that close (accounting for settling over time) do you think you need to adjust anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm more concerned with the rear. the difference is not as much as the front. 865 (which I am questioning) vs 892 front, 526 vs 510 rear. there are different lower spring pad thicknesses.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I finally found the specs, 580 front, 526 rear, it stands to reason that each is 15mm higher than the 2wd cars at 565 f, 510 r.
So in light of this, what do I do with the costs of just answer not having the right specs?
Thanks for your efforts

Where were you able to locate these numbers? It's not necessarily JustAnswer, that is just the forum for this discussion- all of the information I am using comes from Alldata, which is mirrored by similar information in Bentley. It may be that BMW was not open with these groups in providing information, the reasons why I would not know on a car that is almost 30 years old...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From a screen on the alignment machine (latest technology) when I had it checked, actual is 590 f, 520 rear, still not happy with the f being high, and rear low, but there are thicker spring pads for this.
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician