Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I bought a 2006 BMW X5 1 week ago. I noticed smoke coming

Customer Question

Hello, I bought a 2006 BMW X5 1 week ago. I noticed white smoke coming from muffler the day after, also when the air conditioner is on a oil smell comes through.
I had a mechanic look at it and told me the following:
- CAR HAS MANY LEAKS. POWER STEERING PRESSURE HOSE, TRANS. AUX COOLER HOSES AND OIL COOLER HOSES. THERE ARE OBVIOUS LEAKS. THERE MAY BE OTHER LEAKS. COMPLETE ENGINE SHAMPOO REQUIRED WHEN THESE REPAIS ARE DONE. BOTH LOWER BALL JOINTS ARE LOOSE/WORN.
I got it from a private seller so i dont think its possible to give it back. My question is: how much would it cost to do all of these repairs?
thank you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
without knowing EXACTLY what is leaking and where, it is impossible to pinpoint a cost.
however, with what you have described I would say that you are likely looking at $2000-$3000
if the smoke from the tailpipe is due to leaky valve seals (common on this model) you are looking at another $6000 or so.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.