BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I am working on an 02 525i and need some expertise on what

Customer Question
could possibly be going wrong...
I am working on an 02 525i and need some expertise on what could possibly be going wrong. Its misfiring, running very rich, blowing a lot of smoke and throwing codes that are not making much sense to me. iv checked for vacuum leaks, fouled plugs, torn ccv valve and quite a few other things. Obviously there is more to it and ill explain the rest once we start talking, thanks. Nick
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
11/13/2015
BMW Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), BMW Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), BMW Technician

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

We need to determine if its running rich because some cylinders are not firing or if its running rich and causing the misfire. Is the misfire on all, some, random, or one cylinder? Have you ran a compression test to rule out internal engine issues and check for timing concerns? Have you ran a intake vacuum test to check for valve issues? Have you checked the fuel pressure and the MAF/MAP sensor? Will your tool show the fuel trims?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

I ran a compression test which shows about 180lbs for each of the six cylinders, I did not run a vac test for the valves. fuel pressure is good and I believe the maf is good I haven't had a single code pop up from it yet. I do have a concern with the timing it starts at about six degrees adv and once its running it climbs all the way up to thirty. I can see fuel trims for bank 1 and 2.
This is the full run down of what ive checked and had happen/ change.
Started with car idling rough and blowing white smoke, smelled like oil and gas.
it was throwing the fallowing codes. P1353, P1132, P1620, P0174
started researching and decided the ccv is a fairly common part to fail so removed found small tear in diaphragm maybe 1/2 inch so replaced that. reassembled and had minor affects on how it ran, still shook and smoked like hell.
started looking more into cylinder six misfiring so i pulled spark plug found that valve cover gasket leaking into #6s( the one against the firewall if im right) spark plug well. pulled all plugs replaced valve cover gasket reassembled with new plugs started it.
It idled almost like normal but still blew a lot of smoke, smelling mostly like gas. after this it started throwing fuel injector 2&3 circuit low voltage codes, the large vac leak code didn't come back but it still sounded like it was gasping for air all the time.
At this time I started pulling codes more often and the battery started dying pretty often. it only dies if I leave the key in the on position and it doesn't take long to drain it maybe five minutes until its to dead to start. this doesn't seem right to me I don't feel like it should kill it that quickly. But back to the fuel injector codes I noticed that the fuel gage that was showing a little under a quarter tank was now showing almost empty and I hadn't run it that much just to test for changes so I ran some good fuel injector cleaner through it with a about five gallons of gas and it shut off the number two injector code three stayed on and I started getting misfire with fuel cut off on cylinders two and three as well as six occasionally. the next thing to change was the 02 sensor code randomly popped up and said no activity seen from o2 circuit. I realize now that I should not have overlooked the o2 and that this may be a big part of my problem. i didn't no to much about o2 sensors and i hadn't ran into an upstream o2 that had gone bad just downstream that didn't have much affect when they did go out. upstream are not like that. the hole time its been running extremely rich and now it seems like the battery drain is getting worse. its a lot to take in and im sure iv made more than a few mistakes but if you can help me narrow the issue down id greatly appreciate it.

On the battery drain you need to get the battery fully charged then tested. Next remove the negative battery cable and connect a multimeter to the negative post and negative cable. After 30 minutes with nothing electrical being commanded on, the draw should be 80 milliamps or less. If not remove all the fuses one by one leaving them out till the draw is acceptable, meaning thats the circuit with the issue.

Will your tool allow for monitoring the fuel injector pulse to see if one is stuck open from a constant ground signal from a wire short or a computer failure.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Chris (aka-Moose), BMW Technician