sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have an 06 750li that has p0391 and p0024 codes. I

Customer Question

Hello. I have an 06 750li that has p0391 and p0024 codes. I switched the vanos solenoids on the exhaust side but seems to be the same. The car does runs smoother but still throws the codes after about 2 miles of driving. I did change the sensors as well on that side as well. what would you suggest now.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What physical side of the engine did you replace the parts on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Driver side. And i meant i swapped solenoids on the driver side.

Did these codes start setting after any work was done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After i did the alternator oil seal is when it started to act worst. But we need the emissions test done and need the engine light off.

Do you know the maintenance history of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i dont. Its a customers vehicle but i dont do newer cars that much like this but its a close friend. I do know that before i changed the alt seal they would pour about a quart of oil every day or two.

The problem could be electrical or there may also be a psychical cam timing issue. The P0391 is for the left bank cam sensor, P0024 is a performance type code for the exhaust cam. The cam sensor code is a circuit code so that should be the sensor itself, wiring or connections.

The sensor was replaced with a new or known good part?

Was the wiring tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sensors were known good oem sensors. That still wouldnt explain why when i switched the bank 2 intake and exhaust vanos solenoids why it was running worst and now runs better. Could the seals on the vanos solenoids be a cause since they run off of oil pressure?

Yes, anything that affects oil supply will cause an issue with proper cam timing control. P0391 is a circuit code though, if the sensor is good then you almost surely have a wiring issue if that code is still setting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Ill have to see about that over the next few days. Ill get back to you when i get the car back. Thanks for now. Ill be back!

You're welcome!