BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I just replaced the battery on my 2001 x5 bmw. I looked at

Customer Question
the youtube video, I kept...
I just replaced the battery on my 2001 x5 bmw. I looked at the youtube video, I kept the jumper cables on in the front while replacing battery as instructed so it wouldn't have to be reset. Now the new battery is in but it wont crank. Every time we try to connect the black post, it sparks even without being hooked up to charger. We cannot unlock the trunk to take the battery back out and try to reinstall, please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
11/9/2015
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing you need to do here is check and make sure the battery cables are connected properly.If an issue is found with the cables being connected incorrectly this fault here can occur.If you cannot access the battery any more due to the trunk being locked out see if you have a metal key blade to use in the trunk lock cylinder to see if the trunk will release then.If not a lock smith may have to come out and release the trunk so you can access the battery.If the battery is connected properly once you do access it I would have the battery tested to see if it is faulty/shorted internally needing replaced.If these are all o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician