BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I really need some help with my 2000 BMW 323i manual 4 door

Customer Question
Hello, my name is *****...
Hello, my name is ***** ***** really need some help with my 2000 BMW 323i manual 4 door sedan. My electric fan will not come on at all. I thought the termostart was causing the problem because of the heat or temperture sensor that is on the termostart, i had the termostart, water pump, new electric fan all replace by BMW,all replace, and it is not turning or coming on. Yesterday i decided to check the power line that plug into the electric fan and i realize that there is no power coming to the fan. Can any body help me with this PLEASE PLEASE . I also check the fuses in the glove box, and they all are good, is there any other fuse that have something to do with the electric fan or relay, i need some help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
10/22/2015
BMW Mechanic: jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician

I am assuming the vehicle is overheating, the fan will only come on when the vehicle reaches a certain temperature, if that temperature is not reached the fan will not come on. Here are a few things to consider in finding the problem. Isolating the problem may require special equipment to check and see what the computer is seeing verses what the computer is actually doing.

The electrically operated engine cooling fan is controlled by the engine control module and will operate at variable speed depending on coolant temperature and vehicle speed.

As engine coolant temperature increases, condenser fan speed will increase accordingly. A pulse width modulated signal is sent from the engine control module to the cooling fan. An integrated output stage unit on the cooling fan will determine the requested speed from the engine control module and activate the fan.

Verify that radiator outlet temperature sensor in hose is connected and will provide a resistance which changes with temperature. The thermostat should open when engine is run hard and outlet temperature should change accordingly. If outlet hose doesn't get hot enough, the thermostat isn't opening properly.

Small Black/Green wire going to fan should be a square wave signal which originates at the engine control module. If no signal is present when fan should be running, inspect for wire damage between engine control module and cooling fan. A heavy gauge Red/Blue wire should have battery voltage and the Brown wire is a ground.

Verify proper coolant flow by looking into coolant reservoir and verify that a stream of coolant shoots across the opening when engine is running at about 1500 rpm. The stream should be quite strong. If not, the water pump is not pumping well.

The antifreez get very hot, the bottom and top hose are very hot when the tempreture gauge is about the half way point on my dash board.
There is no power coming to the fan at all, i use a tester and check the line to see if power was coming to the fan. No power at all, is there any fuse or any relay that will stop the fan wire to not have power that my question?
Thanks

Which wire has no power?

The main wire that plug into the fan, this wire plug into electrical unit that is on the fan. Not the AUC Climate control sensor.
If you can lookup a 2000 BMW 323i electric fan online, you will see it have a electrical unit attach to it, that the unit the wire plug into. I believe that the power source for the fan. Thank
Joseph
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
No responds to my last answer you ask me, about,which wire it is.
No need to call me, if your time is of essence of other important matter.
Thanks
Joseph
Roger, BMW Master Tech