Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 1993 318I automatic only starts sometimes and almost

Customer Question

My 1993 318I automatic only starts sometimes and almost never after I leave it in my college parking lot for over an hour. What could be the potential causes of this?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What exactly does the car do when you try to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dash lights up, starter motor doesn't sound like it starts, after a couple tries a sort of low noise comes from the engine which I suspect is because fuel was injected but it wasn't used several times.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by "starter motor doesn't sound like it starts" ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean there is no sound from it leading me to believe it's not being activated. Aside from the low noise I explained earlier the engine is silent when I have this issue.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
is the low noise not the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most definitely not; I've jacked the car up and checked the connections on it as aforementioned and while doing that I also had someone turn the key for me so I could see if anything was happening while i was under it. I can safely conclude that the noise isn't the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car is so strange. I just tried starting it again and it worked. I didn't do anything to it. I just turned the key. It makes no sense to me why is it so unpredictable?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay. what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wbaca631xpfk60055 is the vin I believe.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
One moment please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you come up with a solution?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
sorry my post did not come through, I will re draft
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
you have asked "What could be the potential causes of this?"
this is a simple start circuit on this car.
the only things in the circuit are the ignition switch, starter relay, wiring and starter so these are the only possible causes other than a low voltage / voltage drop issue.
I would suggest monitoring for start signal and proper voltage at the starter while trying to start
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.