Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My car just stopped while idling. sounded like it wasn't

Customer Question

my car just stopped while idling. sounded like it wasn't getting gas. would not start, or start for a second and stop. I've changed the fuel filter and battery. There's no pressure in the fuel line, but a high pitch coming from top driver side of the engine. Is there a relay or something right there, that might be bad? I would hear a switch now an then, as if something was trying to open and allow fuel…
Help…
Chris
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

is there power at the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how would i know?
but i hear what i have stated… and it's taking power to make the noises i'm hearing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's like a relay or something attached to the top of the engine. I have the top cover off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello….
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi, it has only been 4min, it takes time to reply.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

please post an image of what you are referring to

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what image? it's a sound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a relay of some kind that might be faulty. it's clearly a high pitch whine.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

you said you have the cover off and I assumed you were looking at the item making noise.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't see the item making the noise. It may be under another cover just above the engine. I only have the big main top cover off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can't quite tell what's making the noise.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

is it an 8 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2003 bmw x5 4.4 V8
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I am not positive what it could be as I have not encountered this noise on this engine before. I will opt out of your question. please do not rate this question or take any further action until another expert replies, which may take some time, possibly hours

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but do you have any idea what is connected to the fuel line that could make a noise, that's in that exact area?