peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

2003 BMW Z4 trunk won't open with key, with fob buttons or

Customer Question

2003 BMW Z4
trunk won't open with key, with fob buttons or release in driver side door frame?
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This type of fault here can be caused by a faulty trunk latch itself.I have seen the latch fail in the past before causing this issue here needing replaced.When it fails or acts up it will cause all of these issues here.You may have to have a lock smith come out to release the trunk which may involve drilling out the trunk cylinder unfortunately to then open the trunk to check the latch to be sure it needs replaced.If the trunk cylinder is drilled out it will need replaced as well.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had my friend, who had the same problem with his 2002 BMW, pull up very hard on the trunk lid while I activated the key fob and the trunk popped open. Then we adjusted the two pressure spacers by rotating them counterclockwise so that they were longer. (like the feet on a washing machine)
The effect was more pressure on the trunk frame. We re-closed the trunk lid and activated the key fob and voila, it popped right open. Problem solved. No holes, no locksmith. Thanks. You can use this for future similar questions. It may only work on a BMW.
Thanks,
Tom Bruno
Z4 BMW

That is great to hear the fault has been resolved.In some cases you can get lucky like this here and in others I have seen where the trunk cylinder needs drilled out or a lock smith to use their tools to try and unlock the trunk.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete