Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2004 3251 that's kicking out error codes DME-2882,

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2004 3251 that's kicking out error codes DME-2882, 2883, and 2869. KL62009. Any thoughts? Just replaced the fuel filter
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The first two codes are most commonly set by an air leak.
Unmetered air leaks allow excess air into the engine and cause the fuel/air mixture to go out of alignment.
The definitive test for such leaks is a smoke test, but you can also check at home using a less precise method. To check for intake leaks at home, visually inspect the intake area for any cracked hoses/pipes. If you can't see anything, you can try this trick: spray a can of carb cleaner around the intake with the engine idling. If the idle changes, this indicates that the cleaner is entering the engine and you have localized the area of the leak. You can then inspect further.
The most common source of air leaks is from the rubber intake tubes between the airbox, and the throttle.
Another common issue that causes this problem is a failed crankcase vent valve. This is located under the intake, in front of the throttle body. This valve regulates a vacuum on the crankcase, when they fail, a high vacuum is put on the crankcase - giving an unmeterd air leak. You can check for this by removing the oil cap with the engine running, if the engine stalls, or idle dips a lot, and there is a high vacuum holding the oil cap down, then this valve has failed.
Aside from the above, a failed airflow sensor or possibly temp sensor or o2 sensor might also cause this, but most commonly it is an air leak or crankcase vent valve. These sensors would require a proper diagnostic to verify if they are the issue, your code is not specific enough to point to any of them.
The third code is for a dme (engine computer) failure. I would clear this and hope it does not return otherwise you could be looking at a new dme.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.