BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

How do you reset the idrive on a 2015 5 series?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/20/2015
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer
A hard reset can be accomplished by unhooking the vehicle battery for one hour
I do not need a hard reset of the computer. I need to just reboot the idrive only. I know it can be done, as confirmed on many forums. BMW online freezes up and per bmw, pressing the audio mute button for 25 seconds, does not work. Can you answer my specific question? I appreciate it.
Thanks steve...
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
the way to do this, to ensure you get an actual, full idrive reboot, is to unhook the battery as I said.
any other approach is a "soft" reboot and should be skipped in favor of the hard reboot.
This did not answer my question.
I did not ask to reboot the entire system just nav and comm.
Can you help?
Nav and comm being the idrive..
I am not sure what is unclear. This is the only way to get a hard reboot of the idrive on this model. This answers the question.
As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.
I did not ask for a hard reboot.
BMW told me it is possible to perform a soft reboot of just the idrive. Every forum out there says the same. This has always been a feature on bmw. From holding volume and eject for 25 seconds on earlier models to holding just volume on newer ones. If you can't answer my question, thats fine. But for the money, please don't give me an answer that doesn't come close to answering what I need done.If you can't provide the answer, I'll take it in to bmw and have them tell me. Car is under warantee.Again, please don't reply with the wrong answer to a question I did not ask.I do not want to reboot the whole system. Just restart idrive. All forums and other bmw mechanics say this is doable.I could have paid someone local to just show me what I need to know.Again, please look into what I am asking. If you can't answer my question directly, that's fineI only want to reboot idrive. And unhooking the battery is not the only way to do this.In fact, it does way more things than just reset idrive. We know that.I'm not being a pain, just frustrated enough pay someone to help me out.But I need the specific anewer to the question given.If you need software versions on my car, just let me know.Again, unhooking battery does not answer my specific question.And it is not the only way. If you are unfamiliar with the reset procedures via volume etc for past 10 years, simply pass on this question.Again, I appreciate your time and need rap advice. Pulling battery is not the correct answer to my specific question.I specifically asked for idrive only. And there is a soft reboot process. So, can you Help?Thank you for your time.If you can't answer, I will close this question
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert