Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2007 Z4 Bimmer convertible. Problem is when I operate open

Customer Question

Good afternoon.
2007 Z4 Bimmer convertible.
Problem is when I operate open switch the roof unlatches and lift an inch off windshield. Then motor dies. It also allows me to close and latch with close switch. I held in micro switch and it seems fine. And I checked every fuse and there good. But I did notice 2 fuses missing in lower left conner of panel.
Category: BMW
Expert:  nabilc replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

which micro switch did you check?
are you able to connect a scan tool, so we check the actual values on all the switches, latches etc..?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

R u familiar with the Z 4 bmw. To my knowledge only one micro switch. Respectfully for the amount of time waiting for reply and to get such a vague answer didn't help in troubleshooting. . For example, you mentioned all micro switches, but didn't mention the location of the others! ( if there is others). Is there other was to cross check without scanner?

Expert:  nabilc replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dean,

This was not an answer, this was a request for more info.

In order to detect the convertible top position and the two final positions of the locking mechanism, non-contact switches (Hall sensors) are used. The
Hall sensors for identification of the convertible top position are fitted on the right-hand main convertible top bearing. The Hall sensors for the cowl
panel lock are located on the cowl panel lock in the front convertible top bow strut. The information from the Hall sensors is processed in the
convertible top module

There is also the grounding switch that indicates the position of the top compartment floor.

However, since you feel that i don't have enough experience, i shall opt out, so other experts take a look at this.

Regards,
Billy