Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 2005 BMW X5, E53, 3.0d is often difficult to start

Customer Question

My 2005 BMW X5, E53, 3.0d is often difficult to start initially and I have found that when I turn on the key (to 2nd position) a few times without success then when eventually there is a low "humming sound" which appears to come from the rear of the car the engine starts immediately without fail. The car then goes perfectly normally on the road with ample power and smoothly. I do however, detect a slight roughness when the car is idling but not always the case. Can you suggest the possible cause(s) ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Your description suggests that the in tank fuel pump is failing to prime the system or possibly has a faulty check valve allowing fuel pressure to bleed off over night.
The issue could be the ignition switch or the pump itself. A one hour diagnostic at a reputable bmw garage should be able to easily confirm.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.