Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I need help troubleshooting the convertible aut, soft top on

Customer Question

I need help troubleshooting the convertible aut, soft top on a BMW Z4 year 2003
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
.BMW Z4 Year 2003 28500 miles. Frist on this car the A/C compressor filed, I replace it with the filters etc. and is working normal.
Know after 2 months of not use last week the Soft Automatic Convertible top did not open. At time of pressing the button to open only the windshield motor releases but the top did not move, I can move with the hands about 8 inches only.
I verified the corresponding fuses all OK]
Need help on How to open top manually if possible and then instructions or manual or advice on what to do to repair, in reality I do not know at this moment what to do and have no money to take it to dealer or specialized, shop.
At this moment I close the top manually using the tool and the Switch on dashboard light dose not even goes on.
I also have verified that the switch that is activated when you lower the extra space required on the trunk to be lower when the top is going to be lower is working, I have manually activated because I have not been able to remove and check continuity or voltage.
Name Marco e-mail***@******.*** phone(###) ###-####- any help or suggestion will be appreciated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marco, Can you provide me with the VIN number of the vehicle to assist you better? Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
VIN # ***** - year 2003 Power Soft top = miles 32457 miles
MY PHONE(###) ###-####OR(###) ###-####MY E MAIL [*****@******.***]
Do you have a scan tool that can communicate with the convertible top module? Do you hear any noises when the convertible button is pressed. The pumps are notorious for taking on water, they are installed behind the drivers seat and back trim attached to the convertible top frame. I cannot talk on phone currently as reception is poor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ToCustomer Answer on Yellow in message.
BMW Mechanic
Do you have a scan tool that can communicate with the convertible top module? NODo you hear any noises when the convertible button is pressed.
NO on the first test [4 weeks ago] after pressing the Button it ONLY release to top from the Windshield, but not any movement of the top it just release from the lock position By the way no this is not working and I have to close/lock using manual wrench top .The pumps are notorious for taking on water, they are installed behind the driver’s seat and back trim attached to the convertible top frame.
Question how do I get to the Pump, Do I have to remove the top assembly complete ? Need some guide in to do this task.I cannot talk on phone currently as reception is poor. Can I call you to a direct phone line?
Please advise Thanks.Thanks and Best Regards.Marco A. Aguilera.
Technical Trainer – Customer Support - Americas
Compressed Air Systems and Services.
Cell-305(###) ###-####Davidson Office(###) ###-####Fax(###) ###-####IR Miami Base(###) ###-####
From:Customer[mailto***@******.***]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 12:35 PM
To: ***** ***** A.
Subject: Following up on your BMW question
Hi, Not a good time to talk. Can I help online?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am waiting answer from last e-mail.
Yes, pump is behind drivers seat. To replace you will need to remove the convertible top. You can access the connector to the pump by removing the trim behind the drivers seat. Then you can check power supply to the pump during activation. -JP