Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

05 audi a6 3.2l Changed out lower intake. In the process I

Customer Question

05 audi a6 3.2l Changed out lower intake. In the process I broke a nipple on coolant pipe... replaced it. Then found out I broke a nipple on upper radiator hose. Changed it. While waiting on radiator hose to arrive , I cranked the car up and ran it for a few mi nutes ... it got hot, but just for a second or two before turning off. Now, ifilled up the coolant resivoir with coolant ... cranked the car up thinking everything is fine but it now overheats. No pressure on upper radiator hose. I'm thinking when I cranked it up and it got hot it may have damaged the thermostat. Or could it be air in system? Any suggestions
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Kevin I don't offer phone call so let me know if this is deffinatly something you want and il opt out and someone else may after this service. I suspect you have air in system but worst case dependent on how hot you got it it may have damaged head gasket ( unlikely if it was hot for small on out of time ) it's very unlikely to damage thermostat with heat as it's designed to be hot . The first thing is recommend is to replace other nipple and then refill system with coolant whilst opening nipples and leaving them open whilst topping coolant level up once coolant comes from nipples do them up and start car leave cap off of resevoir and put heater on full heat continue to run car with cap off until heater is hot then refit cap turn heater off and run car until cooling fan cuts in . If at any point it starts to get hot turn car off allow to cool remove car and leave for a while this will allow air to come to resevoir
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Please rate my service