Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

525i: I just bought a used 2005 BMW 525i. It was jerking in

Customer Question

I just bought a used 2005 BMW 525i. It was jerking in lower gears and then would snap into gear and drive fine. It was happening infrequently and then frequently. I went to a reputable shop that was not a BMW specialty shop and they checked codes and sent it to a transmission
Shop that has a good reputation. They told me it needed a transmission. I talked with a specialized BMW repair shop that only repairs BMWs. They said they would try to fix the codes first. If that did not work they would replace the valve body for 2000. The transmission shop does not replace valve bodies. He said he would only get a valve body replaced if I have the pan dropped first and see no debris. The BMW wants to drain and check fluids. Will that indicate if there I see debris then get a new transmission. If I need a transmission I am considering getting a used one and having it put in. What are your thoughts? Also my. ad said transmission malfunction and the first shop said it was a hard c
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Can you please clarify what kind of thoughts you are seeking? Do you want to know if I think a used transmission is a. Good idea or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just found out that the car needs a new transmission. I am going with a used one. Any suggestions on how to go about that? Websites, etc? What to be aware of?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
if you are installing a used transmission you should buy only a low mileage one with a warranty and it has to be a 100% exact match. nothing else to be aware of but match, mileage and warranty. have it installed by a BMW specialist as well.
the best site from which to purchase is www.car-part.com but you can also try ebay as there are some reputable sellers there if you look.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.