Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

528i: I have a 2008 528i and it has what seems to be a common

Customer Question

I have a 2008 528i and it has what seems to be a common idle issue. It seems like the idle is at 600RPM and should be at 700-900. It suddenly drops to almost nothing for a second at idle and is worse with the AC on. Seems common, what is causing it?
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've heard that there is no diagnostic indicator that reports this problem but in reading about it seems common enough that an expert BMW mechanic should recognize and know how to resolve without a diagnostic. It's an obvious loss of power for a second that actually rattles the car when it drops RPM. Annoying more than anything and not expected in a car of that caliber. Is it tied to a battery charge perhaps since it happens more with the AC on? Drawing power away from something?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MartinsMotorSport replied 2 years ago.
Hi Let me try help youThe common problem is the breather.Please open the oil filler cap while the car is running and see if it has a big suction, like sucking through a straw?