peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Z3: I have a 2002 BMW Z 3 and replaced the air filter. Ever

Customer Question

I have a 2002 BMW Z 3 and replaced the air filter. Ever since if I go over 75 or into a strong head wind I get this clarinet sound. I drove 2 hours with the wind and not a problem, but then came home into the wind and had to listen to for 2 hours!!
I have a video of the sound. If send an e mail I can forward to you.
Thanks''
Keith
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Check and make sure nothing is loose or damaged on the front,sides and windshield area of your vehicle.I have seen where components like seals and weather strips come loose from the body of the vehicle and cause this issue here and had to reinstall or replace the affected component.
If this is all found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All parts are tight and soft to is only a year old. Makes noise even with top down, so not seal on top to windshield
Have you checked in the engine air filter area to see if anything was bumped loose or damaged in any way at all?
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry crazy at work. Filter was okay and bought to my shop. They cleaned all the leaves, sticks and debri in the area under the whipers an in heater. $300 and did not fix so bringing back. Any more ideas?
This still sounds like a loose or misplaced component under the hood or on the outside of the vehicle catching air causing this here.I usually use masking tape to tape off areas on the outside of the vehicle to locate where the noise is coming from then correct the fault once located.
Thanks Pete
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing we have tried worked , so is there still a charge?
If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.
Thanks Pete