BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 99 m roadster and the convertible top only goes maybe…

Customer Question
I have a 99 m...
I have a 99 m roadster and the convertible top only goes maybe 1/8 way up and will not go down. Brakes lights work(now). So I think power is getting to the motor but just can not lift or lower the top. Any trouble shooting suggestions. I can hear the motor engage and try to lift it but just stops after about 1/8 or less the travel
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
Well it certainly has been 10 minutes so I am waiting
6/24/2015
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 3 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
From what you have described here this sounds like a possible internal electrical fault with one of the position switch/sensors.If one of the roof sensors is sending an incorrect location of its position this will cause this here and will need replaced.
This will need checked with a scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers to check the switch signals.
Thanks Pete
Thank you Pete
Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above.
Thanks Pete
Hello Pete,
I decided not to use Just Answer and requested a refund. However, please understand it was not because of the answer you gave. It was just I felt it would be difficult for ME to get out it what I want or thought. I send this email because I got a follow up email from them asking to try again with some examples of others questions and answers. In one of the answers the tech was explaining that we would not get paid if a satisfactory answer was not checked. I did not want you not to receive whatever you were entitled to because I did not check something or a misunderstanding of why I chose not to continue. It was not being satisfied with your answer, I was . It was sort of what I expected really and in a strange kind of way because it was what I expected, I did not feel that I would get out of the service what I wanted because of ME and the way I am and not your answer. So I just wanted to make that clear to Just Answer. I did not know how to communicate that to them so I sent to you. I don't know if this makes any difference but there I did try to add clarity to it. Take care. MitchellMitchell
O.k.,if there is anything else we can help with in the future let me know.
Thanks Pete