Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

335i: I am dealing with headlight problems on a 2007 bmw 335i

Customer Question

I am dealing with headlight problems on a 2007 bmw 335i coupe. The adaptive failure warning is on. The passenger side is completely out. Both headlamps (I see two, 1: the main xenon bulb 2: the other non xenon bulb). The drivers side xenon beam is working, but the the non xenon bulb is not working. Also the drivers side beam is not using the adaptive function, i.e. moving left/right when turning. Condensation/fog has been seen in both headlights.
Could the malfunction in the passenger side adaptive control unit be affecting the control of the driver's side operation? As it is all one system.
Does the adaptive control unit also disable the power to the bulbs?
Any other advice? I'm about to have to replace these headlights a third time. $3000 at the dealer. So I am going to work on it with my cousin, a certified mechanic.
Thanks, Rob
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
How severe is the condensation in the headlamps? Moisture in the lenses is known to lead to an internal corrosion issue in the modules encased in the headlamp housings.
-JP