Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

525i: I'm having issues with my 2006 BMW 525i. At first, my

Customer Question

I'm having issues with my 2006 BMW 525i. At first, my stereo and iDrive shut off, and an SOS Call Malfunction error appeared on my dash. The trunk in my car smells as if there was something electrical burning. Adding these issues up, I believe that my TCU Module shorted out.
I already know how to locate and remove the module, but I do not know if I can simply swap in a different module into the car. I have located a used module. Will I need to code the module so it can work in my vehicle?
I am not a novice to car repairs, but I have never coded any module before. Is this something that can be done without the dealership?
Thank you,
Kyle
FYI: Since the initial failure, I have drove the car for around two weeks, and just last night when I went to start the vehicle, most of my interior electronic units went haywire. My AC was on full blast, and seemed to be controlled by the windshield wiper switch (the windshield wipers were also on), and my gauges were bouncing back and forth from 0 to their proper position. I have not drove the car since.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this is a coded part and requires programming upon replacement

sometimes you can get lucky and a used unit will work without coding, but I would not plan for this

programming can only be carried out with dealership-level equipment.

so, unless you know an individual or shop with such equipment and abilities, the dealer will need to do it.

In any event, you cannot avoide the need for specialized programming equipment to complete this step.

you may be able to find a non dealer with this ability on www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that information. I have connections to a private shop, and I will ask if they have the proper equipment that I could use.

If they do, would you be able to help me with the coding procedure?

I will not forget to give you a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

I am sorry but this is not something that I can provide assistance with through this forum.