Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

Just purchased a 2007 335i and it jerks when shifting from

Customer Question

Just purchased a 2007 335i and it jerks when shifting from 1-2 and 3-4. It shift REALLY rough when using the Steptronic manual shift. This is my first experience in 35 years with an automatic transmission. Took it to BMW dealership and they drove the car and recommended a $7200 tranny replacement! I'm concerned because they couldn't tell me what they based this recommendation on. I am sick of taking my car around and have different mechanics tell me different things about the problem and how to fix it. There are no codes showing (BMW confirmed this after doing a series of inspections) No, it's not a solenoid problem. No, there are no fluids on the floor of my garage. All systems on the onboard computer say "OK".
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
hi,
what question is it that you would like to have answered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Based on what I said above, what could be causing the jerking with the automatic gears shift?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you going to answer my question or call? I'm still waiting!
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 years ago.
Based on your description with no faults and no loss of fluid I am not sure I would condemn your transmission just yet. I would want them to check the fluid condition (see if it smells burnt or if there are clutch pack material).
With your millage and the description of "bucking" I suspect your intake valves are have excessive carbon build up. That is a issue we have with the direct injection engine. There is no fuel spraying on the back of the valve to clean it. This is a very common occurrence on N54 engines. And the customer complaint is something to the effect of bucking and loss of power.
I would have this checked out. Unfortunately the only way to check is to remove the intake manifold.