BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Z4 M Coupe: I'm having a start problem with my BMW Z4. I installed…

Customer Question
I'm having a start problem...
I'm having a start problem with my BMW Z4. I installed a curb warning system (simple install) the car started and ran during the install but after it wouldn't start.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
6/6/2015
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 3 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
I would look into where you got "power" from for the kit. And look into a blown fuse or a damaged wire this are the common faults I find from aftermarket installations.
The kit provided a fuse input which I installed in a 5 amp switched power fuse input (an available input). The fuse input included its own fuses build into it. Both of the fuses in the aftermarket wiring are good.
I'm responding via my phone but if you Google search Curb Alert installation for BMW you can download and see what steps I took.
I google searched and found the instructions. Also found the youtube video on the install on the 335i
THe fuses I was referring too are the fuses in the vehicle not the ones in the kit. I would check all the fuses in the fuse panel and make sure any fuses you removed are put back in the correct spot.
I would also check all the plug connections under the dash make sure you didn't not inadvertently knock one off.
I'm away from my car right now but I'll check the fuse box when I get home.
ok let me know
Ok, I checked every fuse and they all look good. I made a point of scrutinizing all fuses realated to starting functions but also looked at all fuses. I couldn't find any fuse issues. Any other ideas?
A close friend suggested it might be my EWS. His first suggestion was to use a spare key to start the car. The car started first try no struggle. I ran it for about 2 minutes and was very happy. Shut it down and buttoned up the fuse box area. Tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. So it sounds like EWS. Any input or insight here?
You could have a faulty EWS module, A new module will need to be encoded and synced with the DME.
I waited a few hours and tried to start the car. It started last night. I woke up and started the car (so it started again). I re-adjusted the clutch stop (I wanted to rule that out yesterday) and got the clutch stop in a position where the car shifts best and it starts. I took the car to the grocery market and it started. I drove it for about 20 minutes came home shut it off and tried it again and it started. I'm not sure what caused the issue but it seems to have gone away. I don't know if the time sitting yesterday afternoon did anything to help reset the electronics (???) but it works now.
Maybe the modules going to sleep could have helped reset them. And adjusting the clutch switch was a good call. I am glad it starts now.