BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

750LI: Hey, Looking at this page:http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/2hmrx-s…

Customer Question
Hey, Looking at this page: http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/2hmrx-someone-tracked-car-gps-and-or-bmw-assist.html I...
Hey, Looking at this page:
http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/2hmrx-someone-tracked-car-gps-and-or-bmw-assist.html
I have a 2011 BMW 750LI and trying to do the same?
Any help on that?
Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
6/4/2015
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 3 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
It is unlikely that they tracked you using your vehicle as only BMW can "ping" your car for location data. However, if you would like to disconnect the GPS tracking I can help you. Your GPS is stored in you Telephone communication unit. However, if this is disconnected then BMW assist will not function. If you do disconnect the module you might also end up with an SOS warning that comes up. Your dealer can uncode the TCU from the vehicle which does the same thing without removing it.
If you would like to remove it the TCU is on the left trunk area.Open the trunk and lift up the tire cover. On the left, on the bottom is a black plastic trim. In the holes are 10mm plastic nuts (i think 3) once removed that plastic trim lifts up. Then on the left in the recess you will see a long module (silver in color) that is held to the side of the vehicle. It is held on by a 10 mm plastic nut with a retainer bracket. All you do is remove the TCU and unplug it from the vehicle and GPS and BMW assist will not function but everything else should be fine (except for bluetooth as this is a function of the tcu).
I hope this helps. Please accept this answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Are you serious ??
That was an existing answer on your site which I was clearly stating I looked at.
I have mentioned that I have a 2011 BMW 750LI.
These models do not have a tire cover as they utilize run flat tires.
Can you please revise your answer?
Thank you!
Sorry I thought you wanted that info.
To disconnect the TCU on your vehicle you will need to remove the panels on the left side of the trunk it is bolted near the top. To remove the panel you will need a V trim tool to remove about 4 clips or you can pry it out on the top and you can sneak your arm in to unplug it. Just unplug it and this will prevent it from tracking the vehicle.
Thank you for that answer Kenny.
I have unplugged it and now my screen isnt working (black).
Did I unplug the wrong one?
I see two other silver units towards down...
Thank you !
Hey Kenny,
You've asked me to rate you.
Can you please answer my question first?
Thank you !
I think you unplugged the wrong module. It will read TCU.