Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

530xi: I was driving my BWM 530xi 2006 this morning when I

Customer Question

I was driving my BWM 530xi 2006 this morning when I suddenly ran into a small defect on the road,few seconds later the car showed Transmission malfunction error message.Please what could have gone wrong?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Approximately how many miles are on the vehicle? How large was the defect in the road and what did it consist of? Does the transmission error message go away after shutting the vehicle off then restarting, or is it on permanently?
Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it went off after restarting the vehicle.
Approximately how many miles are on the vehicle? How large was the defect in the road and what did it consist of?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
150,000 miles. The defect was not large.The same warning sign came up this morning again and went off after restarting the car.
Without having a scan tool to read the fault codes, it is nearly impossible to give you an exact diagnosis for your issue, but can you take a picture of the warning when it is displayed and post it here.
Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok.
Just reply back when you can snap a picture of it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran a scan on the car.These are the faults I got.
1. 2AAB,Variable intake system,self diagnosis.
2. 2A15, DTML, minor leak.
3. 4F8D, Ratio monitoring gear shift 5-4.What do you think?
The ratio monitoring fault is the issue. This is typically caused by a slipping of the transmission. The fluid level of the transmission needs to be first checked for proper level and condition.
Let me know what the outcome of the level check is.
-JP