Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

X5: My 2008 BMW X5 4.8 is giving me a DTC of P3217 - seems

Customer Question

My 2008 BMW X5 4.8 is giving me a DTC of P3217 - seems to relate to a CAN communication fault. Where would I begin to look for this fault? What is in the network that could trigger this code?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
What warnings are you receiving in the vehicle? What scan tool are you using to retrieve the codes? Approximately how many miles are on the vehicle? Has the vehicle had any recent major repairs or body work?
Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no warnings at all, just the CEL. No accidents or repairs. 40,000 miles and I'm using a innova scan tool.
Is this the ONLY fault that is stored in the vehicle?
-JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is
With the CAN communication fault you need to start by scoping the signal at the instrument cluster. To do thus you will need an electronic oscilloscope. Do you have have one on hand? Diagnosing CAN bus faults without this tool is nearly impossible.
-JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I can get one of those from my neighbor
Are you familiar with how to use one and what the scope pattern should look like on a functioning bus system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I know what a functioning scope pattern looks like. What I need are specific test points and exactly what this code means on this vehicle. Entertainment surely points to the stereo system correct?
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 years ago.
I don't see that fault on my master list. But if that faults is coming up as a CAN bus issue and is causing the Check engine light to come on. It has to be the PT-CAN(PowerTrain CAN) bus that is causing issue. First off this is a High speed CAN bus with two terminating resistors, Check the buses resistance should be 60 ohms between the two legs low and high. If that is ok you will need to scope the bus should be 2.5 volt swing on each leg opposing each other. If no communication on this bus you will need to start checking unplugging modules on the bus DME, EGS, KOMBI, DSC, only modules related to the powertrain are on it no body or entertainment modules.