peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

325e: , I'm howard. My 85 bmw (325e) starts very briefly

Customer Question

Hi, I'm howard. My 85 bmw (325e) starts very briefly but shuts off. what is the problem?
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have an after market remote start or after market alarm system installed on your model here this will cause this issue.I have seen to where the after market components control module can fail internally electronically and had to either remove it to correct this fault or replace it.
If there is no after market components installed on your model here let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are no after market components installed. However, I recently swapped the engine and that is when this problem occurred. Basically, the car hasn't ran since the swap. I put in an engine from a car with the same year and model. The only difference I noticed is that the replacement engine came out of an automatic car but my car is a standard shift (5 speed).
Make sure all electrical connections and wiring are installed correctly and that nothing was damaged when the swap occurred as this will cause this fault here.If any of the engine components or sensors are different they will most likely need swapped over to the engine to match your vehicle as well.
Thanks Pete