BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Z3: How do I initalize my passenger window in my 97 Z3. I know…

Customer Question
How do I initalize my...
How do I initalize my passenger window in my 97 Z3. I know it is not a grease issue or track issue. there is a procedure. do you know it?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
5/30/2015
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
what exactly is the problem that you are experiencing with your window?
passenger window goes up or down in 2-3" incriments so I have to keep pushing button to open or close window. I had the same issue on another z3 I had and even after replacing regulator had same problem. Took it in for service and they printed out the procedure for re-programming / inializing the regulator but I lost the paper.
please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
here is the procedure: https://app.box.com/s/k706mz3n1mwq53mexcba4fe5bs2nnt6t and then press download to save a copy to your own computer
Did not work
I know there is more to the initialization procedure.
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 3 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed
Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization
An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals
Erasure of initialization:
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds
This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.
Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Open door window glass fully
Open and close the drivers door