BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

R50: Roger, We replaced a transmission in a 2003 Mini

Customer Question
Hello Roger, We replaced a...
Hello Roger, We replaced a transmission in a 2003 Mini Cooper R50. Everything works, but when we put car in drive and hit the brakes, car bucks and stalls. Any ideas
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
we suspect traction control system.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/31/2015
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The ABS system wouldn't have the capability to kill the engine.
It sounds as if you may have a torque converter clutch issue. If the torque converter clutch is applied at a stop then it will drag the engine down and kill it, basically the same as letting out on the clutch with a manual trans in gear but holding the brake.
If that's what you're feeling then the problem is in the replacement trans, either a solenoid or valve body issue or the torque converter itself.