BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

328 4 door e90: i have a e90 2010 bmw 328 . I just bought it…

Customer Question
i have a e90 2010...
i have a e90 2010 bmw 328 . I just bought it from a used dealer and got a great price . . So it had a idle problem that he said i need a mass air flow sensor . When you start it it idle rough for about 5-10 seconds depending how cold it is then it rides great but it activates the engine light . I am in florida i called bmw to get the part # ***** the serial #
Also another mechanic put his scanner on and mass flow sensor code came up
factory part OEM *********** siemens 5WK97508Z
but it had another sensor in 5wk97502z in ot so i figure it was a wrong part . I found a used one they said worked and i tried it and it idle even worst . So i thought the part was bad . i ordered a new one $230 and put it in with a new air cleaner . When i put the new one in the light came off but it idle erratically and couldnt even drive it it idle so bad but the engine light came off . So i put the original one the car came with 5wk97502z and it started to idle properly except for the 1st 5 sec but the engine light came back on . The 5wk97502z says it for 2006 . Does the car need to be programmed for the new mas air flow sensor ? I took the not urgent so could tip . Hope fully you can advise me on this issue .
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
5/30/2015
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello
Can you please clarify what your question is? Is it if you need to program the car after the airflow sensor is replaced?

why would it idle bad with the correct sensor while it also turns off the engine light . But runs better with the wrong sensor and it activates the engine trouble light .

BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 3 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Programming the vehicle will not fix your issue. So I would say your issue is not a airflow sensor. Do you know what the fault is? I have seen several things on your vehicle that could cause this issue but with out the fault code I am just guessing.