BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

328xi: I have a 2011 bmw 328xi with 29d2 cylinder 6 misfire,

Customer Question
I have a 2011 bmw...

I have a 2011 bmw 328xi with 29d2 cylinder 6 misfire, 29d0 cylinder 4 misfire, 29cc multiple misfires and 29d1 cylinder 5 misfire. I recently filled my tank, drove roughly 10 miles, shut car off and parked, returned to car and drove another 5 miles, car started to sputter and lose power, I heard a bang and felt it under my feet, I pulled over and turned the car off. I try to start the car and it long cranks and fires but bangs around and dies right out. I hear the fuel pump priming when I open the door, I have spark and even tried changing the plugs and coils out of another identical car I have, misfires stay with those same cylinders. My question is would a 3 cylinder misfire cause the engine to bang around and die right out? I would think it should still run, although idle rough and whatnot. I thought maybe something broke internally and it jumped time but I do not have any codes relating to vanos or timing. I have compression ranging from 205 to 225 on all cylinders as well. I pulled the valve cover to inspect and noticed i have stress fractures on my cam bearing ledge directly behind the springs as seen below, could this be the culprit?cam bearing ledge

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
10/20/2013
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is Steve and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the answer to your question is that a cyl 3 misfire would not cause the engine to bang or die out.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

Any other insight into the problem? What's your opinion on the cam bearing ledge I pictured?

the symptoms you have described are not specific enough to cause anything to come to mind as a high likelihood cause. further hands on testing will be required.

the picture does not show anything that I would expect too cause what you described. I have not seen stress fractures in this area before.

kindly please select a positive rating so that I receive credit for my answer to your initial question regarding the missfire. thank you