BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

bmw: my service engine light turned on ,the mechanic replaced

my service engine light turned...
my service engine light turned on ,the mechanic replaced a bad coil ,light turned off , now the light will go on and off while your driving
9/19/2013
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX your check engine light is turning on and off there is still an intermittent fault occurring in the engine management system. One thing that you can do is inspect the fuel cap and make sure that it is fitted properly. If the cap is not tight it can cause the light to turn on and off. If the cap checks ok you are going to need to get this back to the shop to have the fault codes read in the engine control module in order to determine where the problem is. It is possible that you have another coil failing as coil failure is quite common on the BMW.

Customer:

what is a fault error dtc

Customer:

I got a code reader and it flashes dtc

Marty :

Fault error dtc stands for diagnostic trouble code

Marty :

Is that written on your invoice?

Customer:

on my meter that reads error codes

Marty :

Ok, there should be a code number along with that code.

Customer:

ok 1434

Marty :

standby while I look up the code number.

Marty :

Which model BMW do you have?

Customer:

2008 x3

Marty :

Ok, that fault code is for the fuel tank leak detection pump. It can be caused by a loose gas cap or the pump may be faulty.

Customer:

ok thank you

Marty :

You're quite welcome.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician